Naturopaths & Medical Herbalists of NZ (Inc). (NMHNZ)
NMHNZ was formed in 2017 by the amalgamation of two long-standing societies, the NZ Society of Naturopaths and Naturopaths of NZ. This was a much-celebrated union in response to a desire for members to be united in their quest for the recognition and advancement of naturopathy in New Zealand. Our aim for our member naturopaths is to provide support and to progress and protect the development of naturopathic medicine in New Zealand.
To the general public we provide a guaranteed standard of natural health care ensuring members of NMHNZ are qualified to the best standards of education and update their education on a yearly basis. Practicing certificates are issued each year provided ongoing professional development requirements have been met. By choosing a Registered Naturopath, you can be certain your naturopath adheres to these requirements.
How you benefit from working with a member of Naturopaths & Medicinal Herbalist of New Zealand
As membership is limited to specifically qualified practitioners you are guaranteed a qualified practitioner which is important for your safety
Services provided by NMHNZ-registered practitioners can be claimed through certain healthcare insurers (policy-dependant)
What is Naturopathy
Registered Naturopaths and Herbal Medicine practitioners play an active role in integrative primary healthcare and health promotion.
Naturopathy is a safe, effective, patient centred form of medicine practised widely throughout the world. Naturopathy is a holistic health care system – considering all the systems of the body when looking for the underlying causes of illness. As such, naturopaths evaluate all aspects of a person – mind and emotions, as well as the body – as all are believed to be important in returning a person to optimal health and wellness. It is a complementary, not alternative, medicine – we work alongside allied and allopathic practitioners, including GPs. We believe that both naturopathy and medicine have important strengths in supporting the health of an individual.
Our Mission Statement
The organisation aims to:
- Ensure Naturopathy is visible and accessible to all New Zealanders.
- Provide the public with a resource of qualified and professional members.
- Promote naturopaths, and be recognised as valuable partners in the health care system.
NMHNZ maintains its high standards and professionalism by:
- Only accepting members who meet our high standards of education and have qualified through accredited colleges.
- Having a Code of Conduct to ensure professionalism is maintained.
- Providing ongoing, reciprocal communication and support to our members.
- Encouraging respect for clients and fellow colleagues.
- Providing members with a network that includes relevant resources and services, public relations, continuing education opportunities, member meetings which contribute to continuing education, a highly professional website, and positive leadership for the promotion and advancement of the profession.
- Offering comprehensive liability insurance at a discount for our members.
- Fostering relationships with healthcare insurance providers to allow naturopathy costs to be claimed via health insurance policies.
- Facilitating relations with other organisations in the Natural Health Industry.
Our Aims are to provide support and opportunities for our members.
- NMHNZ aims to work towards registration and regulation at a government level for the modality of naturopathy.
- NMHNZ aims to encourage further education of members within the profession of naturopathy.
- NMHNZ supports scientific research in the use of naturopathic interventions for health issues.